Sunday, June 21, 2009

Home, For the Most Part

The dinner Friday night was really nice. There were about 200 people there as a celebration of the end of the school year and to thank us for the project. We had a cool variety of French salads and desserts as it was a pot luck. The theme was cowboys so it was fun to see a whole bunch of French kids line dance (which was choreographed) wearing cowboy hats and whatever Western garb they could conjure. Saying goodbye was difficult but it was a cool evening. The next morning we arrived at the school at 6am to get to the airport in Zurich. It's about an hour.five drive which was a nice goodbye to the land as well. We all checked in and then said goodbye to Erin, Matt and Christina. Erin's flight was a few hours before ours and Christina is staying for the summer. With a couple hours to kill, the rest of the crew hopped on a train into the city. It was cool sorta being on our own as a group and trying to navigate our way through the German signs ourselves. We did some shopping, ate a bit and saw a couple streets of the city before heading back on the train. Michelle, Jon and I got a great opportunity to talk to the girl sitting next to us for about ten minutes about what we were doing there, what we were about, and how Christianity was poorly represented to Europe in times past. We got to share with her for just a minute, but I could tell she was very interested by the conversation. Her name is Doris and if you get the opportunity, pray for her as well. In Zurich that day there was a big recycling/protect the earth gathering. It was so strange! Everywhere we went we were handed free stuff with little tags on it explaining why recycling is necessary, complete with clever quotes. It looks like Green Peace has taken on Christian evangelism tactics. It was sad to see a complete turn-around in values; not that recycling isn't important or is bad, but they have totally lost the Creator in admiration for creation. It actually is what started my conversation with the girl next to us though. I had a bottle of lotion with one of those German tags so I asked her if she spoke English and could translate. She did know English very well (Swiss people-at least in touristy Zurich-speak excellent English) and after translating asked where we were from and such. It was cool that God used the recycling witness for his own witness.
The flight went well as we chased the sun. We arrived tired and sore to LAX.
HOWEVER, Sarah who had left the day before left me a message and got stuck in Washington. I didn't even think any of her flights went there-I don't know if it's DC or state-so I was shocked to hear that. She unfortunately missed the wedding she missed the appreciation dinner/hoedown for. She had to stay over night there and will hopefully be back home soon, but I really don't know. Erin is also stuck in Philadelphia and is in a hotel for the night. I really don't know what's going on; bad weather I guess. I'm trying to look it up but I'm not sure what the issue is. So please pray for their safe returns home and for their energy levels-we're all exhausted and hurting and somewhat overwhelmed-I can't imagine how they're feeling. I'll update this once I find out how they're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment